Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Disgusting is the word

The schools in HP are closed now-a-days, as summer vacations are going on. Kallar school is also closed. So, we thought, it is a good opportunity to do some renovation work at the school as, right now, there won’t be any disturbance to normal functioning of the school.

The first thing which we thought was to level all the ground around the school so that the school looks tidier and we can have a big ground for sports etc. Right now, the entire school premises is at three different levels. Remember, this is a hilly terrain, where having these levels/steps is very natural. Due to these different levels, there is not optimum usage of the space, whether it is for sports or for having a period or two outside in chilly winters, when any exposure to sun is very soothing and comforting.

Keeping all these things in mind, we asked a JCB contractor to come and meet us so that we can get some estimates from him about the time and cost. So, this gentleman along with his “team” of 3-4 people descended down at school today, that too around 45 min late. Anyway, it was drizzling and we inspected the area along with him and his team. They did some quick calculations and he told me that it would around 100 hrs to complete the work, give or take 10 hrs. When asked, he told me that he has two machines – smaller one at the rate of Rs. 750/- per hour and bigger one at the rate of Rs. 850/- per hour. Then he added very quickly that his bigger machine is brand new and works very fast. So, if we use this machine we can assume that work will be completed in around 90 hrs or so.

While I was doing math in my head to compute the whole amount for the work, he quickly also added that his smaller machine is busy on a long term project so it won’t be available for our work. So, I asked him, “This means, we will have to get the work done by the bigger machine, am I correct?” He quickly responded in affirmative. After this, I asked him, “As per what you said, it would take 90 hrs to complete the work using this machine, am I correct?” This time he fumbled a bit and said, “Sir, let us take the estimate of 100 hrs, we anyway will charge you for the actual time and not the estimated time.” While in theory, I agree with him completely, especially since I come from a software services industry where, generally there are huge variations between estimate and actual, I was pissed off with the cunningness of this guy who, very beautifully, sold his new machine at a higher rate while keeping the estimate same. I didn’t argue any further because I knew the work would not take 100 hrs or 90 hrs for that matter.

After doing the inspection and all this discussion, we came back to the school office for some discussion. I don’t know what because as far as I was concerned, we were finished talking as I had already told him that I would get back to him in few days, about my decision. Anyway, we sat down and he tried to probe me to find out how soon a decision would be made and when he can expect to start the work. After 5 min, he and his team stood up and left the room. I was getting ready for my next meeting, when the main contractor came back to the room and asked my contact number. I gave my cell phone number to him. While he was writing it down in his cell phone address book, he said to me, “Sir, I will give you your share.” The kind of tube-light I am, I just didn’t get the clue and asked him, “Sorry, I didn’t get what you are saying.” He elaborated, “Sir, please get me the work, I will give you your share of money!!!” I was shocked and I told him that I don’t work like this and it won’t be decided on this basis. He looked at me as if I am from a zoo and then said, “Ok, sir, just let me know when you want me to start. Please keep in mind that the work may even take 40-50 hrs if there are not many rocks and stones.” I was shocked – the estimates have tumbled down drastically, almost by 50% !!!. I asked him how come there is such huge variation in estimates, and he explained to me, hurriedly, that if there are some hard rocks it would take more time but if it is mostly soil, it won’t. Before I could say anything more, he left, leaving me standing there dumbfounded.

After he left, I thought about the whole incidence and then it struck me how the whole game works – he jacked up the estimate of work, because he assumed that he would have to give me money to get the work, and he would have got that money out of the institution by giving a higher estimate and higher actual time spent. I was amazed and literally disgusted realizing how the whole thing works.


Comments:
Rohit,

It seems like a great project that you have picked for yourself out there. I think its disgusting to learn about the "system" and how it works. I would be curious to know how you deal with it.

All the best and let me know if there is any way I can support this.

regards,
Prashant
 
Hey Dude,

If you can shift the concept of "attending class"(at least for a few students) from
"taking notes of what the teacher says" to "try tounderstand what he is saying and clarify where required" you will make a *massive* impact in their lives.

I look forward to hearing more about your efforts.

Please keep blogging!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?