Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Mr. Chaman

I need to tell this story, though at the expense of one of my colleagues and a dear friend – Anand V, who we also fondly call Chaman.

At Kallar school, in 7th standard, there is boy by name Chaman. Yes it is his real name. Incidentally, this boy is very quiet quite unlike my friend, but as playful and mischievous as my friend is. When I got to know about it on 2nd or 3rd day, I was very amused and I told my friend about this boy, the very next time I spoke to him. He was also equally amused, and we shared a good hearty laugh at the coincidence.

Wait, the best of the story is yet to come ;-) A couple of days back, when I was teaching English, in the class, he made a comment from behind to one of his mates – main sad gaya hoon. At this, few of these boys laughed. I heard them so I inquired as to what was going on. One of them buckled really quick and told me what Mr. Chaman had said. I immediately asked the class to translate his comment into English. After little help from me, we got it – Chaman is rotten.

Since that day, if this guy says/does anything naughty in the class, rest of the students say – Chaman is rotten. The other day, he was doing something else while I was teaching. I observed that he is busy somewhere else. So, I asked him, “Mr. Chaman, kya ho raha hai (what is going on)?" Before he could say anything, rest of the students said, “Guruji, Chaman is rotten.” I was bewildered.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?