Monday, August 14, 2006

Quality of Education

Around a month back, I started teaching English and Computers to the youngsters in the villages. This was after a popular demand from most of the parents (and some youngsters too) that youngsters from the villages lose out due to their weakness in these two areas, which has become almost a necessity in outside world.

Keeping in mind the objective of the trust - quick returns on any effort, I decided to start with people who are either already graduated or doing their graduation. I met quite a few youngsters in each village to figure out what they know and what they want to learn. The mix was quite varied - some are doing computer course in a private institute in Berthin or Ghumarwin, some have done a basic course in computers during 10+2, and some have never studied anything about computers. One common theme was that everyone is weak in English and not just weak but pretty weak. One astonishing fact which I came across during this exercise was the realization how much money parents were spending to get their wards to do a computer course. Most of these courses had taught these youngsters only theory and almost no practical work. Students also, it seems, had decided not to explore anything at their own, and hence when I would ask what was the Operating System of the machine on which you used MS Word, there are no answers. Surprisingly, I also found out that lot of courses are teaching these youngsters MS DOS and WordStar!!!

After collecting all the data, I decided to start two batches - one for computers and one for English speaking. The classes started, and after first couple of days, I realized how weak these youngsters are in English – they don’t know anything about English!!! They have read everything, but just don’t understand and hence remember any of it. So, I spent first week in brushing their knowledge about tenses – how to find the tense, what are the different rules etc. I also covered what are commonly used verbs, what are common English words, what various things (body parts, vegetables, fruits, objects at home & school etc.) are called etc. Meanwhile, I also told them how to practice for English – read newspaper (which I promised them to provide everyday), listen to English news channels on TV, read books or magazines (I offered to bring them some), converse with each other etc.

During the classes I observed few patterns – students will take notes of whatever was discussed in the class. They seemed to be more worried about taking notes than understanding what is being discussed. Most of them will not ask anything despite my continuous assurances and suggestion that they should stop me as and when they don’t understand something. Also, a couple of students will not give any expressions during the entire duration of the class, day after day. I was unable to say whether these people understand anything or not by looking at their face. Like others, they also won’t open their mouth. None of the students ever asked me for newspaper or book or magazine which I had told them about during fist week.

After around 10 days or so, one day I just posed few basic questions to the class, and as I was expecting, there was a dead silence in the room. No one could tell me the answers. So, I started probing into the problem. After around 40 min of probing from various angles, they told me that they don’t study at home. When I asked what they did with their notes no one had any answers. It seems that during their entire schooling, the only thing they did while sitting in a classroom is to take notes. These youngsters are not used to of focusing on understanding what teacher is teaching them; rather their focus is to take notes, because they believe that’s what teaching is all about. Though, in the current scenario, they were not even looking at the notes after going back home. They are also not used to of asking questions in the class, even if they do not understand something.

This reminded me of what I had observed in Kallar School. Exactly the same story, except that here, I was looking at the end product, whereas in the school, the products are still being made. This is the pathetic state of our education system, and so much for the much touted Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan program, which is being projected by the government as a major step towards bringing literacy in rural and backward areas.


Comments:
We are indeed standing on debris. IMO, the system has been ineffective for a looooooong time.

People will find it hard to accept the changes you are bringing about, because the whole game is set up to focus on grades and jobs.

It is ineffectiveness all the way...

-- Rajesh
 
I am tempted to propose that you may need to try getting the students back to the board again. Though the chalk incident you mentioned is still vividly present in my memory, what I see in this exercise is a possibility to complete a circle.

To begin with, we are brought up in an education system where we are not used to choose anything. To learn is a choice that needs to be exercised in a class before one pays attention to what is being taught. If the choice is not exercised, then they will just continue to spend time in the class, gaping at the window, taking notes, and nodding to the teachers monologues.

I would suggest on picking one ore two very good or good, whatever students available in the class. They would be assigned simple topics to teach to the class in a few days time. You would be fully available for those two guys for any help on whatever they want to learn to teach.

It will be a tough mountain for them to climb, but you are betting on the best of the lot.
If they manage to do a good job, they would be like tigers who have tasted blood, wanting more success. They would also inspire the other to imitate their success.

The safe thing about the exercise is that it is close ended. All deadlines are set. Of course, until it is over, it will look like an eternity for the couple of students involved. But, even if they do a decent job, their confidence level will be high.

Further more, what motivates a lot of people is completing the circle. Giving back what you got, by your choice is a very satisfying experience. When the students become a teacher, even for 15 minutes, with the awe and respect of their peers, they will realize the potential of learning in education.

Pardon me if I have over-romanticized the whole thing, but that is just my 2 cents.
Keep up the good work.
 
Guys, thanks a lot for your terrific suggestions :)

Vivek, I have not given up on making these students to come to the board and also, once in a while I make them tell the answer to the rest of the class and try to even make the class understand it. So, I am trying what you have suggested. You are right, one learns a lot when one has to teach it to someone else. Believe it or not, I have learnt a whole deal of English Grammar during last two months :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?